The main points about kicksharing at the Moscow Urban Forum
July 10, 2021
The International 2021 Urban Forum congress was held in Moscow from the 1st to the 4th July. World experts in the field of urban development discussed trends, solutions and new approaches that make modern cities safer and more convenient.

The Deputy Mayor of Moscow and Head of the Department of Transport and Road Infrastructure Development Maxim Liksutov, said that the sharing of cars, bicycles and e-scooters has significantly expanded Muscovites' mobility in recent years. Liksutov stressed that of all accidents involving these vehicles, only 8% occur on rented e-scooters, while the remaining 92% occured on private ones. Over the past ten years, the number of pedestrian spaces in Moscow has increased by 230 times, and the Green Ring project will connect the main parks and green areas of the city with bike paths in the coming years."
Whoosh founder, Dmitry Chuiko, also noted Moscow's actions to expand routes for e-scooters and once again reiterated the statistics confirming that the e-scooter is a new type of transport. 68% of trips in Moscow are made following this transport scenario. This is largely due to the fact that the city's policy is aimed at supporting this type of mobility and its development in the future.

All participants of at round table agreed that transport that is accessible to everyone should be developed. Additionally, it was agreed that sharing should be increased and the use of private cars should be reduced. This is precisely the goal of MAAS (Mobility as a Service), which Moscow is currently working on.
Mohamed Mezgani, a freelance consultant and advisor to the International Union of Public Transport, said that "Mobility as a Service" combines the whole transport system into one basic format. It offers the the most user-friendly means of travel. The main goal is to increase people's mobility, the evolution of the transport system and to give Moscow residents the opportunity to be without needing to own a car.

More than 45 million rides were made through car sharing, 2 million by scooter, and about 5 million by bicycle. In total, more than 170 million trips have been made since the launch of these services. 90% of these trips were transport trips, i.e. people do not resort to using private cars and other types of transport to solve their transport needs, but rather they use sharing services instead.
Magomed Kolgaev, head of sharing projects at the City of Moscow Department of Transport and Road Infrastructure Development, said that scooter rental services are developing more proactively than any other, showing the most significant growth. At the end of June 2021, users had made more than 2.5 million trips, which is more than the whole of 2020. There are now 7 operators in Moscow, we're planning for there to be 8 of them by the end of the season, and for the number of scooters to be increased to 25,000.
Full recordings of discussions:

Roundtable: Successful transformations. What transport development vector do leading cities choose? Watch video

Roundtable: Sharing is Caring. The sharing economy and the prospects for the development of transport rental services Watch video

By continuing to use our website, the user consents to the processing of cookies. We collect cookies to provide you with the best user experience.
OK